Monday, August 21, 2017

Last Week in Silver Lakes. August 15, 2017

Hello everyone, 

I hope you have all been enjoying the end of Summer! I found out last night that I will be transferring again to the area of Royal Palm Beach. I don't really know anything about the area, and I don't remember meeting my companion, but her name is Sister Peterson. I will also be serving as an STL in my new area, so I am excited for that! Sister Dees will also be transferring out, and she will be going to Fountainbleau (one of my past areas, I'm so excited for her!).

I have really enjoyed my last week here in Silver Lakes. I have loved these last few weeks with Sister Dees. This week started off with an awesome P-Day water balloon fight with our zone, that was really lots of fun. We each brought 100 water balloons, so by the time we finished we were completely soaked! That night we felt inspired to be in a certain neighborhood, and at the very last door we found a woman named Yuneyki and her daughter Ivanna. They both listened to our message, and after we had finished sharing the first vision Yuneyki was speechless. The spirit was so strong, and she got really emotional. Sister Dees and I came away from that lesson feeling like the Spirit was definitely the one in charge because we were both on the same page the whole time. We have since lost contact with them, we aren't sure what happened, but we are hoping that the new sisters in this area will be able to continue teaching them!

On Wednesday we had our first Zone Conference with President Garns, and it was absolutely amazing. He has not made a lot of changes to rules or anything, but he has taken a new perspective on how to do missionary work. He wants us to focus on being more led by the spirit, and rather than trying to think "outside the box", he told us that "there is no box". Rather than trying to fit the box of a "perfect missionary," he told us to rely on the Spirit and make it personal, because the Lord has placed US in a SPECIFIC area for a certain reason. I loved it! President Garns is just amazing. It is always fun to see old companions as well. My favorite part of Zone Conference, as always, is when we sing "We Are As The Army of Helaman" at the end. President and Sister Garns can never make it through without crying, so it is pretty special. 

On Thursday we ended up teaching Rosa and Ronald, a sweet couple from Honduras. We were trying really hard to implement what we had learned in Zone Conference, and follow the spirit better. After some questions, and a little bit of digging, we found out that Ronald has a niece who is a member of the church, and that he has always had questions about it. We were so excited to share a Book of Mormon with them, and help them understand what we know to be true. We have not heard from them since, but we know that the seed has been planted!

At church on Sunday there is a sweet, slightly crazy, old lady in our branch named Hermana Rodriguez. We ended up sitting next to her in sacrament meeting, and we came out of the meeting crying from laughing so hard. Our first counselor in the branch was giving a talk about tithing, and as he was reading the scripture about "bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse that there may be meat in my house" she was CRACKING UP!! She was laughing so hard, like it was the funniest thing she'd ever heard. She just kept looking at us, and pointing her thumb towards the pulpit with a face like "who is this guy?" We just tried to keep her from disrupting the entire meeting, but she thought it was so funny! I just love her. 

Yesterday we had a blitz with our zone leaders and the Sisters we live with. We all agreed on a spot to meet, but when we arrived we found out it was gated, so Sister Dees and I looked around a bit, and found an apartment complex to knock. Everyone met us there instead, we prayed, then split up to go knock on doors. Sister Cook and I thought it was weird that every door seemed to have a card reader in order to get in, but we were pretty proud of ourselves when we managed to sneak into the 2nd floor. Pretty proud until we found the "guest laundry." Upon further inspection we realized we were not in an apartment complex, we were in a hotel! Haha, woops! That would explain all the card readers on the doors and everything. We all had a good laugh about that. 

It has been another great week. Even though it sometimes seems like we are not able to see the fruits of our efforts, I know Heavenly Father is pleased when we are diligent in His service. There is no more important work than the salvation of souls, and I know that comes because of Jesus Christ. 

I love you all!
Hermana Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment