Thursday, February 9, 2017

Coral Reef: Week 1 January 24, 2017

Hola everyone!!

I hope you are all doing well back at home. I am doing great! My new area is wonderful :)! It is a huge mixture of people: Jamaicans, Haitians, Americans, and people from every Latin country you could thing of. That is probably my favorite thing about Miami, it is so diverse!! The new ward we are serving in is bilingual, which definitely creates a big of a language barrier for the members, but they are great. Of course, I am the new ward chorister, which is a little interesting because half of the songs are in English, and the other half are in Spanish, so only half the congregation sings at the time. Sometimes I feel like I am doing a solo, but esta bien :).

This week we have not seen much success with finding new people to teach. The only person we are currently working with is an investigator named Charo. She is from Cuba, and she has a Jehovah's Witness background. She is very very cautious to accept the things that we are teaching her, but she truly wants to believe that they are true. She is currently reading in the Book of Mormon, and praying to receive her answer. We are hopeful that she will be willing to move forward this week and set a baptismal date. It was quite the miracle because when we went to teach her on Saturday we brought another ward member with us. Charo was having a really hard time understanding what we were trying to teach her about temples and baptisms for the dead, but the ward member was able to jump in, explain everything perfectly, and bear her testimony about eternal families. It was really just what Charo needed to hear. Now the two of them are great friends, and the ward member that came with us (Sister Wilson) is giving Charo a ride to church every Sunday. Charo really enjoyed church yesterday. She especially loved the lesson we had in Relief Society about faith, we are hoping that will help her to understand how she doesn't have to know everything in order to know that the church is true, she just has to have a witness of the Book of Mormon. She is very sweet, and I just love her. When we went over to her house one night she made us "crema de malanga." I am not entirely sure what a malanga is, it looks kind of like a potatoe, but this crema stuff was so good! I was similar to the best potatoe soup you have ever tasted. I will definitely be needing the recipe from her!

That is about all I have time for this week. Just know that I am doing well, and that I love being a missionary. It is such a blessing to be able to represent our Savior, Jesus Christ. I am so grateful for him, for everything he did for us to make it possible for us to be better each day. I am grateful for this gospel in my life, and I know it is the way to happiness in this life, and in the next!

Love, Hermana Monson


At first I was sad to leave Fountainbleau, but my new area has been great so far! It is back to being more like it was in Fort Meyers, with a big mixture of black people, white people, and Spanish. We have this one city called Goulds that we knocked in yesterday, and it is GHETTO. It is a neighborhood full of mostly black people, and some of them are pretty scary, but most of them are really humble and really sweet. There are always a bunch of kids just "chillin' on the screets" (Ghetto slang, I'm getting pretty good at it if I do say so myself ;)).The ward is bilingual, which I thing is really hard because there is such a language barrier between some of the members. However, we have met some really great members so far, and I love them! There is one little old lady that is especially cute, her name is Sister Stand. She only has one leg. She has diabetes, and all sorts of other health challenges, she struggles to pay the bills because she can't really work, she lives off of food stamps, and yet, she ALWAYS wants to give us food! It is so adorable! After church she came up to me and said "if you don't have any deodorant, or soap, or milk, or if something is bothering you-then you call me!" It was adorable (she speaks Spanish).

My new companion: Sister Hernandez. She is the most adorable, sassy, cute, sweet little latin of all time! I just love her! She is so much fun! She is originally from Honduras, and speaks fluent Spanish. Her family currently lives in North Carolina, and she lived there for about 7 years before her mission, which means she also speaks fluent English. She only has one transfer left after this on her mission, and the only reason she is excited about that is because she has a boyfriend that will also be getting home from his mission soon.....so I guess you could say things are getting pretty serious. She is just wonderful, and has a lot of love for the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment