Wednesday, January 4, 2017

December 27, 2016

Merry Christmas!!! I hope that everyone enjoyed their holiday season :)

This week has been great! Once again, all of our investigators dropped off at the beginning of the week. If people do not keep their commitments we can't keep working with them because we know that there are people who are ready to receive the gospel, and we need to find them!

Last P-Day Sister Whitney and I had a great time decorating a gingerbread house together. We bought the kit from Walmart and entertained ourselves for a few hours, we were pretty proud of ourselves-it turned out pretty cool. It was a little crazy because Sister Whitney has the most long, beautiful hair. With about 1 hour left in our P-Day she comes up to me and says "Sister, I need you to cut my hair!! I can't take it any more!" After lots of begging and pleading on her part, I reluctantly agreed. We didn't have any hair cutting scissors, and I didn't have ANY experience with cutting hair, so I nearly had a panic attack when we finished and the two sides were of different lengths. Somehow we managed to get it all straightened out, and she says she loves it! It was quite the adventure, and I have decided that cutting hair is definitely not my calling in life ;)!

On Thursday we had a huge Christmas conference with half of our mission. We all got together, and it was so fun to see the other missionaries! I finally got to see my trainer, Sister Root, whom I haven't seen since we transferred. We got to hear an awesome talk from President Richardson about the light of the gospel. It is truly light to everyone that hears it, we are eliminating darkness from the world by spreading the light. I also loved Sister Richardson's talk about tender mercies that the Lord gives us. She showed some super close up photos of snowflakes, and pointed out that God must really love us to make each and every snowflake so unique and intricate. Each zone did a musical number, and it was great to hear so many of the hymns sung in all the mission languages (Spanish, Creole, Portuguese, and English). We got to watch some Christmas videos, and have a delicious Christmas lunch! Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, and sweet potatoes (I was so happy, I missed sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving!). After lunch we did a white elephant gift exchange with the people sitting at our table, it was so fun! I got some playdough! I gave some fingerpaint bathtub soap, and pepperoni pizza chapstick. The funniest gift I saw was a huge throw blanket with a huge image of the Virgin Maria on it. So funny!

On Saturday we went to our ward Relief Society president's house for dinner. She made us a delicious Peruvian dish with pork and potatoes for dinner, so that was good. Then we had to be in our house by 7. Sister Whitney and I made some cookies, and watched The Testaments, it was a great way to spend Christmas Eve! 

Sunday morning we woke up and opened our gifts!! That was lots of fun! Then we had sacrament meeting, the primary did a Christmas program, and it was so cute. I love Latin kids! After church we had a normal day of proselyting. It was so great to get to go and serve people on Christmas day, it is exactly what the Savior would have been doing if He were here. It was great! People's hearts were definitely a little softer, and even though we didn't find any investigators, I think people really appreciated what we were doing. The highlight of the day was skyping with my family that night!! It was the best to talk to them for a little while, I just love them!!

Because of the holiday, yesterday was a "Pros Monday" (meaning instead of P-Day it was a normal day of missionary work). We knocked doors ALL day! Every single one of our appointments cancelled, so we ended up just contacting a lot of people. Something super cool was that earlier in the week we had had a lesson with a woman named Rosie who is the niece of one of our potential investigators. When we had gone to see our potential investigator (Juanita), she wasn't home, but we ended up teaching Rosie instead. Well, teaching is a relative term. Rosie just wanted to bible bash with us, and it was not a fun lesson. We came out feeling frustrated and upset, she was not very kind to us. Fast forward to yesterday, we stopped by again to see Juanita, but she wasn't home. Instead, Rosie answered the door. Our first instinct was just to get out of there as quick as possible, but Rosie was super sick. We asked if there was anything we could do for her, and she said she would like it if we could pray for her. We hesitantly entered the house, sat down, and she started to talk to us. She was very weak, and tired, and humbly just asked us to bless her with health. We prayed for her, and left so that she could get back to sleep. She was very grateful. It was amazing how much love we were able to feel for her after that prayer. It just goes to show that the best way to love someone is to serve them!

I love being a missionary, and it is such a blessing to be able to share the gospel! I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior, and I am so grateful for everything that He has given to us. I love you all and hope it is a great week! 

Love, Hermana Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment